Cleaning Spreadsheet Data with Open Refine - Online Online
Got messy spreadsheets? Open Refine is a powerful, free, open-source software tool for cleaning and transforming data in a way that is easy to reproduce. This hands-on class is targeted at people who need to clean messy data, including spreadsheets of survey responses, patient encounters, financial records, or workshop attendance. We will cover the basics of cleaning data in OpenRefine and also go over some more advanced techniques including pulling in additional data from an API. If you want something more powerful than Excel but don't want to spend the time to learn a programming language like R or Python, OpenRefine could be the perfect tool for you!
By the end of the class learners should be able to:
- Explain how OpenRefine works on their computer
- Use OpenRefine to:
- Facet data to find typos and errors
- Cluster data to easily correct typos at scale
- Split data into multiple columns
- Pull in additional data from an API
- Transform wide data into tidy data format
- Export their cleaned data in a variety of formats
- Save their cleaning scripts so they can be re-used
Prerequisites / Preparation
Please complete the following tasks before coming to class:
Download OpenRefine here: http://openrefine.org/download.html If you are having trouble with the download, you can refer to setup instructions here: https://datacarpentry.org/OpenRefine-ecology-lesson/setup.html or email me at email@example.com
Download the 2 class data files from the course website
Ariel Deardorff, Data Services Librarian, UCSF Library
This will be an online class via Zoom conferencing. The zoom link will be sent out a week in advance.
When you register, the Library reserves class space for you. Since many of our classes have a waitlist, please cancel your registration if you can no longer attend.
Related LibGuide: Reproducible Data Management by Ariel Deardorff
- Wednesday, Sep 23 2020
- 10:30am - 12:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Pacific Time - US & Canada (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.